January Chess School will have one hour session of chess class for 3 different levels: Beginner, Intermediate and Open.
January 2022 Chess School followed by an 4-round CFC rated Tournament on lichess.org. (we will have 3 sections to play the tournament)
Jan 23, 1pm - 2pm (meeting room opens from 12:45 pm) on Zoom.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 263 781 7252
Fee: $10 for members. Sibling member price is $7. Sign-up without a valid membership will be removed. Renew/register your 2021-2022 membership at
Only online registration is acceptable and it will be closed by 10pm on Jan. 22. Participants must sign up on this event page to one of the 3 levels. The Chess School host will assign them to their level (breakout rooms) once the event starts. A link and password to the Zoom Meeting will be sent to the registered email. If you don't receive the email by morning of Dec 5 please contact email@example.com. The name on Zoom should use "Full Name_level_lichess ID" for proper level assignment.
Jan 23 2:15 pm on lichess.org, 4 rounds of Swiss,15/10, The tournament password will be sent with the Zoom link and will also be communicated during the chess school. Two sections provide:
- Beginner/Novice (CFC Quick rating 700- and lichess rapid rating <1300 (not provisional))
- Intermediate (CFC Quick rating 700-1100 or lichess rapid rating 1300-1700)
- Open (CFC quick rating 1100 or lichess rapid rating 1700 )
Top 2 and best girl of each section will receive a trophy. Only registered chess school students are eligible for the prize. Tie-break will be determined by the lichess.org's final ranking order unless manual adjustment is involved due to post-game review
How to register for the tournament:
1. If you don't have a lichess account, watch this video on how to create a FREE account and how to join CJCC Team and a tournament. https://youtu.be/bKHESEhQRM0.
2. Join the Team as soon as you sign up the event. Don't wait for the last minute. Once your Team joining request is accepted, you will see the Sep Chess School tournament in the Team with password required to join. The tournament password will be sent with the Zoom link and will also be communicated during the chess school.
3. Join CJCC online Team https://lichess.org/team/calgary-junior-chess-centre-cjcc. Non-member will not be accepted to the Team. Watch this video on how to create a FREE account and how to join CJCC Team and a tournament.
4. Player needs to have a CFC number, if you don't have one, please go to https://www.chess.ca/en/players/membership-join/ to register one for yourself.
5. All players must stay on the same Zoom room of the chess lesson and keep their LIVE VIDEO on througout the tournament. Players who are in the tournament but don't show up on the Zoom room will get their score FORFEIT! The tournament directors will be monitoring and will ask the players to display if their video is off. Players are not allowed to record the meeting at any time during the tournament..
6. Read FAIR PLAY AGREEMENT. Parents, please talk to your children about ethical play online. Signing up the event means the players have read and accepted the clauses in the AGREEMENT including the consequence of cheating.
7. All results are considered unofficial until the post-game review is done, which will take 3-7 days. All games may be reviewed by the TD's. Suspicous games will be reviewed by the tournament Commitee designated by the Board. If cheating is discovered and confirmed, the player's ID will be reported to lichess. The offending player's score in the tournament will be forfeit and will be banned from future CJCC online and offline tournaments for:
a) two months following the first offence.
b) 12 months following a second offence.
c) Lifetime ban following a third offence.
Paid membership fee will not be refunded for the banned period.
8. Get familiar with Swiss Tournament rules at lichess.org/swiss. CJCC is not responsible for any loss due to the chess platform system issues.
9. Updated CFC rating can be checked on https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/ after the final official result is posted on CJCC website.