- Open: FIDE and CFC rated. 5 round Swiss, Game in 60 minutes 30 seconds/move.
- U1300 and U800: CFC rated 7 round Swiss, Game in 45 minutes 30 seconds/move
- CFC membership is required when register for this event. Please check out the CFC membership link to get an CFC membership:
- Players must record all their moves. Assistance sheets will be provided upon request.
- Only Juniors born after January 1, 2004 are eligible.
Registration Cap: Maximum registration 65
The registration will be closed as soon as the cap is reached OR by 10:00 PM on October 13th, whichever comes sooner. Onsite registration will NOT be permitted.
- Unrated players is recommended to register in the U800 section.
- The final section assignment is determined by the Head TD based on the higher of regular and active ratings. Check your CFC rating at the link: https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/
Entry Fee: First child at $25, sibling at $22.
Start Time: 10:00AM on Saturday October 14th & 10:00AM on Sunday October 15th.
Venue: Room 140-148 Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning Building, University of Calgary
Volunteer sign-up: https://www.calgaryjuniorchess.com/CJCC/Volunteer/SignUp
Head Tournament Director: Sean Wu
Players who arrive after 9:45 am on October 14th will not be paired for round 1.
Saturday, October 14th:
On-site check-in: 9:15am – 9:45am
Rounds 1-3 for Open: 10:00am, 1:00pm, 5:00pm or ASAP
Rounds 1-4 for U1300: 10:00am, 12:30pm, 2:00pm, 4:30pm or ASAP
Rounds 1-4 for U800 : 10:00am, 11:30pm, 1:00pm, 4:00pm or ASAP
Sunday, October 15th:
Rounds 4-5 for Open: 10:00am, 2:00pm or ASAP
Rounds 5-7 for U1300: 10:00am, 12:30pm, 2:00pm or ASAP
Rounds 5-7 for U800 : 10:00am, 11:30pm, 1:00pm or ASAP
1) Head to head (if all those tied played each other).
2) Buchholz (Sum of all scores of opponents).
3) Buchholz cut 1 (Sum of all scores of opponents except the lowest point scorer).
4) Sonneborn-Berger (Sum of all scores of opponents you won against and half the scores of opponents you drew).
5) Most wins.
1st place in the Open section: One free entry to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
1st place in sections other than the Open: One free entry to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
2nd place in each section: Trophy.
3rd place in each section: Trophy
Top Girl in each section: One free entry to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
All other participants will receive a token.
We have limited volunteers onsite. Parents are solely responsibility for the safety and security of the players in between rounds and after the tournament has completed.