- Only Juniors born after January 1, 2003 are eligible.
- CFC ID is strongly recommended when you register for this event. Please check out the CFC membership link to get an ID: https://www.chess.ca/en/players/membership-join/.
- Unrated players or players without a CFC ID is recommended to register in the U800 section.
- The final section assignment is determined by the Head TD based on the higher of regular and active ratings. Check your CFC rating at the link: https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/
- Players must record all their moves. Assistance sheets will be provided upon request.
Start Time: 2:30PM on Saturday September 17th & 10:00AM on Sunday September 18th.
Venue: Renert School at 14 Royal Vista Dr NW, Calgary. The venue is in the portable building on the north side of the main building.
Volunteer sign-up: https://www.calgaryjuniorchess.com/CJCC/Volunteer/SignUp
Head Tournament Director: Yao Wang
Players who arrive after 3:00pm on September 17th will not be paired for round 1.
- Open: 5 round Swiss, Game in 90 minutes 30 seconds/move.
- U1300 and U800: 7 round Swiss, Game in 45 minutes 30 seconds/move
Saturday, September 17th:
On-site check-in: 2:30pm – 3:00pm
Rounds 1-2 for Open: 3:00pm, 5:00pm or ASAP
Rounds 1-3 for U1300 and U800: 3:00pm, 4:30pm, 6:00pm or ASAP
Sunday, September 18th:
Rounds 3-5 for Open: 10:00am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm or ASAP
Rounds 4-7 for U1300 and U800: 10:00am, 11:30am, 2:00pm, 3:30pm or ASAP
1) Head to head (if all those tied played each other).
2) Buchholz (Sum of all scores of opponents).
3) Buchholz cut 1 (Sum of all scores of opponents except the lowest point scorer).
4) Sonneborn-Berger (Sum of all scores of opponents you won against and half the scores of opponents you drew).
5) Most wins.
6) Most games with black.
1st place in the Open section: $300 travel grant and one free entry to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
1st place in sections other than the Open: $50 travel grant and one free entry to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
2nd place in each section: $30 travel grant to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
3rd place in each section: Trophy
Top Girl in each section: $20 travel grant and one free entry to Alberta Junior Championship corresponding section, and a Trophy.
All other participants will receive a token.
Entry Fee and Registration: First child at $25, sibling at $22. Register using the “Register” button at the top of the page by 10:00PM on September 15th. Late registration and onsite registration will NOT be permitted.
We have limited volunteers onsite. Parents are solely responsibility for the safety and security of the players in between rounds and after the tournament has completed. Also, we ask you please kindly notify the volunteers at the front desk if you decide to pick up your kids before all rounds completed.